Health and safety is paramount for the team at the KCCC and is at the root of our quality standards. Read more about our health and safety commitment and to find out it means for a quality service.
Health and safety standards at the KCCC not only provide a safe environment for children, staff and visitors but create a platform for quality within our early years centre.
The KCCC is bound by the national Health and Safety Legislation and the Health and Safety requirements of the Childcare Preschool Services Regulations 2006, the National Standards for Preschool Services and Siolta, the national quality framework. To this end, the centre is subject to regular inspections from a variety of regulatory bodies that aim to ensure compliance in areas such as:
- physical structure, layout, space, safety and condition of buildings
- suitability of equipment
- welfare and development of children
- sufficient staff numbers, training and qualifications
- food service
- activities for children
- infectious disease measures, and
- administration such as notification, records and insurance.
KCCC Health and Safety Features
Our centre strives to achieve best practice in health and safety and is proud of the following features:
- A purpose-built, early learning environment
- A buzzer and video identification system that allows staff to control access to the building
- A strong staff to child ratio to ensure proper child supervision
- A designated Health & Safety Representative to ensure the implementation of our health and safety programme
- A designated Fire Warden to ensure the safety of our children, staff and visitors in the event of a fire
- Minimum staff qualifications of FETAC Level 5, with some achieving Level 8
- All staff are trained in First Aid and Fire Training
- Use of the Child Paths system to achieve up-to-date records such as a child's eating, sleeping and nappy patterns each day
- External cleaning contractors to ensure the very highest standard of thorough cleaning throughout the building
- Continuous checks of toys and play materials to ensure safe play
- Stringent procedures around allergies and special needs for each child
Health and Safety Statement
To view the KCCC's health and safety statement, please click here.